Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Guest Post: T. Elliott Brown

Hi! T. Elliott Brown guest-blogging today so Chudney can take the day off to celebrate her birthday.

We wouldn't want her to think we forgot. A forgotten birthday is a traumatic thing. I know.

When I was about eight, everyone forgot my birthday, including me. I know it sounds impossible to forget your own birthday, but I did, and so did my mom. She was pregnant and life was busy. Birthdays were never big parties in our family. Usually we had a cake and a special family dinner. That year my birthday didn't seem to matter very much, though I always remember that we forgot it.


In my novel, Bombshells, Melanies forgotten birthday is the opening scene, and begins a string of coming of age incidents which culminate during the thirteen terrifying days known as the Cuban Missile Crisis, when John F. Kennedy and Nikita Khrushchev faced off over Russian missiles in Cuba in 1962.

Often things that are simply life events become great tools in fiction. A birthday, a lost necklace or a fender-bender may be bothersome details in real-life, but can become a catalyst or a turning point in the story.
Bombshells: T. Elliott Brown Amazon.com: Books

How would a forgotten birthday change your story? 

But, just to make sure Chudney knows we didn't forget her birthday, take a minute to sing-along with the Bartles' cover of the Beatles tune Birthday.



T. Elliott Brown can be found on Facebook, @telliottbrown on Twitter, and www.bombshellsbook.com

No comments: